Noblesville, Indiana, a relatively small community just north of Indianapolis, lays claim to the last covered bridge in Hamilton County, Potter’s Covered Bridge. It spans the White River‘s West Fork, off of Allisonville Road, a location formerly known as Potter’s Ford.
Named for Indiana resident and farmer William Potter, this historic place in Noblesville is 259 feet long, 13 feet high, and 18 feet wide. It was built in 1871 and was restored in 1937. Some fifty years later, the road was rerouted to bypass Potter’s Covered Bridge, and the bridge fell into disrepair.
A generation later, Potter’s Covered Bridge was granted recognition in the National Register of Historic Places, and in 1999, the area formally metamorphosed into Potter’s Bridge Park, an often visited Noblesville park. Today, Potter’s Covered Bridge is the focal point of a lovely 66-acre green space in Noblesville, complete with a playground, trails (including the White River Greenway Trail), restrooms and a picnic area.